Final Update
After I left El Salvador, I had a list of things that I wanted to see.
Unfortunately, that meant a lot of traveling and not much time for relaxation. I saw a lot, and made it as far as Huehuetanango, and met some interesting people. It wasn't very relaxing, though, as I was always on the move. I was headed to Todos Santos, when I missed the 5am bus and was told that the next bus wasn't until 11pm. I would have had to take a bus to a small town, and then try to catch a ride in the back of a pickup to Todos Santos, and it would have likely been a long, slow, uncomfortable ride. I was on that bus to a town called Chianti, or something, when I decided that enough was enough, and I was going to enjoy myself for the last few days, and relax a bit. I changed buses and headed back in the direction of Guatemala City.
I got off at the turnoff to Panajachel, a small tourist town by the edge of a very large crater lake. Many small towns are on the edge of this lake, Lago de Atitlan, and I am on the far side of the lake at San Pedro la Laguna. It is beautiful here, sunny every day, mountains around, and blue water close by. The Spanish classes are about half the price of what they were in Antigua, so I decided to take a couple
days to brush up on some issues that I have been having now that I am using the language more.
Tomorrow, I head to California to meet up with Merran and I will totally change gears and climb for two weeks. What is that anyway? Do I have to take any chicken buses to get there? How much will Tostados and Tacos and Frijoles cost at the market? Will I be able to throw my toilet paper in the toilet, or do I have to put it in a trash can beside the crapper for the next person to enjoy. If I am constipated, will the tap water unclog my system, and more? And how friendly will the locals be? If I am walking down the street, will every pickup that goes by offer to take me along for $0.25.
I think I am going to miss this place. Coming here hasn't made the decision any easier for where to go next year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home